Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Closing the Books on 2007

Well, 2007 is just a memory now, and it's on to 2008! Looking back on my journal for the year we just lived through, I notice that on January 1, I said goodbye "and good riddance" to 2006. But 2007 wasn't too terribly unpleasant, from my own personal point of view anyway.

I'm aware that the world at large is going to hell in a hand basket, but I've finally accepted the fact that there's not much I can do about that (well, the last two presidential elections were wonderful lessons in futility).

And I'm not going to explain that hand basket phrase.

So I guess this is as good a time as any to look back at my reading history for 2007. After I made my list of all the titles, I found that I read 23 books this year. More than I realized, although not a great record – I've definitely had better reading years. But this is the best one in a long time. In 2006, I only read nine books. So I'm doing better, but there's a lot of room for improvement.

Books Read in 2007

The Big House. George Howe Colt
The Body in the Transept. Jeanne M. Dams
The Book Shop. Penelope Fitzgerald
Booked To Die. John Dunning
The Bookman's Promise. John Dunning
Codex. Lev Grossman
Coraline. Neil Gaiman
The Egyptologist. Arthur Phillips
The End of Mr. Y. Scarlett Thomas
The Jane Austen Book Club. Karen Joy Fowler
The Ladies' Man. Elinor Lipman
Lady Audley's Secret. M. E. Braddon
The Maytrees. Annie Dillard
Message in a Bottle. Nicholas Sparks
Mrs. Malory and Death in Practice. Hazel Holt
A Murderous Yarn. Monica Ferris
Now and Forever. Ray Bradbury
Pontoon. Garrison Keillor
Publish and Perish. James Hynes
The Shadow of the Wind. Carlos Ruiz Zafon
The Thirteenth Tale. Diane Setterfield
The Unburied. Charles Palliser
Unraveled Sleeve. Monica Ferris

If I had to rate them - well, I wouldn't rate them. But Shadow of the Wind was my favorite. In fact, I think I'll be adding it to my list of all-time faves. But I enjoyed them all - generally, I don't finish books that I don't enjoy. However, I have to say that The Egyptologist was the most frustrating read - one that I kept abandoning for other books, all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.