Thursday, June 26, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Definition

This week's BTT topic:
What, in your opinion, is the definition of a “reader.” A person who indiscriminately reads everything in sight? A person who reads BOOKS? A person who reads, period, no matter what it is? … Or, more specific? Like the specific person who’s reading something you wrote?

Dear Reader,

Yes, you. You know who you are.

You're a person who thinks all is not right with the world if you don't have a book in your hands, or on your bedside table, or in your backpack or briefcase. You're never empty-handed on that long plane flight or that solitary lunch break. When you walk through the door of a library you feel right at home. You experience regret when you leave a bookstore without a new book in your possession.

You may not read the latest best-sellers. You might prefer the classics. You might read nothing but fiction, or you might choose material from the "real world." You might confine your reading to romance novels, or military history, or police procedurals, or science fiction adventures, or biographies of movie stars, or medical thrillers, or any other special genre or topic. You might read books selected for you by a book club. Or you might just read anything that comes your way.

You may read to further your education or explore a subject that interests you. Or you may read to keep abreast of world politics. Or to enhance your parenting skills and set an example for your children. Or you may read for the sheer pleasure of it.

I suppose I recognize that, strictly speaking, reading is reading. And any reading of the written word is valuable, whether it's books or magazines or articles on the internet. But while I know that the word "reader" can be defined in many ways in many different situations – I must confess that when I use the term, I'm almost always thinking of someone who reads books. Someone who loves books. Books in any form. Someone who understands how much a love of books and reading enriches our lives and makes us better human beings.

Someone, Dear Reader, just like you.

13 comments:

  1. I love the way you wrote a letter to the reader. THAT defines us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post. By the way... Have you been stalking me? Because you've described me to a T!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think reading for pleasure defines a reader, whatever the genre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree - great definition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also feel like you wrote that just to me. :) Great definition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great - and I agree a reader reads books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I felt like you were talking to moi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. smilingsal--
    Thanks. Yes, I figure most of the BTT crew has a similar love of books or we wouldn't be here!

    thekoolaidmom--
    I promise I'm not a stalker, but I do read your blog! Thanks for visiting.

    barbara h.--
    Me, too - of course, I guess everybody sees pleasure in their own way.

    skrishna--
    Thanks for the kind words. I always love to be agreed with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. jessi--
    Glad you liked it. Thanks for dropping by.

    booksplease--
    Yes - we seem to have pretty similar opinions about this one.

    Boyett-Brinkley--
    Thanks, Cuzzie! I'm kind of surprised you still read at all, after all those "reading assignments" I used to give you when we were kids.

    bethany--
    Thanks very much for stopping by, and for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You hit the nail on the head! I love this post!!! BTW, how did you get inside my head? You mean I'm not the only one who would shriek if I saw my nightstand naked without a book??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know what I really did love though? When we made the little library cards and pockets for our books. I still have some Bobbsey Twin books with them in them! I was thrilled when I was in the teacher supply store with DD one day and I found fancy, ready made ones -- I wanted to buy them and put them in all my books! Now, I just settle for bookplates.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.