Friday, February 27, 2009

Friday Finds: 27 February 2009



These are the books I've added to my New Finds list this week.


Sea Holly, by Robert Minhinnick
Evans Above (Constable Evans Mysteries #1), by Rhys Bowen
I discovered both of these through the Anglo-Welsh Literature discussion group over at Good Reads. Both authors are new to me. Actually, I've never read much Welsh literature beyond Dylan Thomas. But I'm part Welsh, so I thought I should do a little investigating.

The Needle in the Blood, by Sarah Bower. I first saw this one over at Meghan's Medieval Bookworm blog and it looked so intriguing I had to find out more about it. Here's the publisher's synopsis:
January 1067. Charismatic bishop Odo of Bayeux commissions a wall hanging, on a scale never seen before, to celebrate the conquest of Britain by his brother, William, Duke of Normandy. What he cannot anticipate is how utterly this will change his life-even more than the invasion itself.

His life becomes entangled with the women who embroider his hanging, especially Gytha-handmaiden to the fallen Saxon queen and his sworn enemy. But against their intentions, they fall helplessly in love. Friends become enemies, enemies become lovers; nothing in life or in the hanging is what it seems.
Fatal Lies, by Frank Tallis. Tallis has written a series of mysteries set in Vienna, involving psychiatrist Max Lieberman and his police detective friend, Oscar Rhinehardt. I haven't read any of the books yet, but I've got one other one (Vienna Blood) on my TBR list, and this one sounds good, too.

Magic Bus: On the Hippie Trail From Istanbul to India, by Rory MacLean. Another book about "my generation" – have to at least give it a look.

Friday Finds is a weekly event hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. Participants are asked to share with other bloggers about the new-to-you books found during the week – books you either want to add to your TBR (to be read) list, or that you just heard about that sounded interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Fatal Lies sounds interesting. I've been in the mood for thrillers and mysteries lately.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.