Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Winter Words Reading Challenge

OK, here's another one. Tarissa over at In the Bookcase is hosting the Winter Words Reading Challenge which runs throughout the season, from December 21 to March 19. The workings are a bit complicated, so you should head on over to the challenge announcement page and read up on it, but it sounds intriguing.

Basically, the challenge is to read at least three or as many as nine books. You choose from a list of winter-related acronyms and then match up your reading choices with those words.

Here's the list of acronyms:
  • 3 books - ice, ski
  • 4 books - snow, sled
  • 5 books - frost, slick
  • 6 books - winter, icicle, flurry
  • 7 books - mittens, snowman
  • 8 books - slippery, ice skate
  • 9 books - snowflake

I'm having a lot of fun pairing up books with those wintry words, but I'm going to play it safe and choose the 3-book level and use "ice" as my acronym. Haven't decided on definite book choices yet, but my candidates are:

I = I Am Madame X by Gioia Diliberto, or The Inn at Lake Devine by Elinor Lipman
C = The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt, or The Wapshot Chronicle by John Cheever
E = The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder, or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

I'm using the titles of the books to match up, but you can use authors' names if you prefer. And I'll be updating my progress on my challenge blog here.

The challenge is open to readers of all ages - children, teens, and adults - so I'm assuming that young adult and even children's literature is acceptable reading matter. It also means that this might be a great excuse to do a little more reading to/with your kids. Or even read some of those childhood classics you never got around to. Should be fun.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun challenge that I may have to look into. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.