Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Teaser Tuesdays: The Magnificent Ambersons

All this snow and ice is beginning to addle my brain (not that it wasn't pretty much addled already, of course) - I completely forgot about today being Tuesday. Please, please tell me that spring is just around the corner!

OK, enough of that. This week, my teaser lines come from Booth Tarkington's The Magnificent Ambersons, winner of the Pulitzer Prize back in 1919. This snippet is from the book's first chapter, and the author is describing life among the upper crust in a "Midland town" during the last part of the 19th Century:
During the earlier years of this period, elegance of personal appearance was believed to rest more upon the texture of garments than upon their shaping. A silk dress needed no remodelling when it was a year or so old; it remained distinguished by merely remaining silk. [p.4]
Timeless fashion? Would that that were true today. I could still be wearing those pretty little velvet mini-dresses I loved back in the 1970s. Or maybe not. Yours truly in a mini-dress is definitely a sight we can all live without, velvet or not.


Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizb17 at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or take part yourself, just head on over to her blog.

6 comments:

  1. I saw the movie, but the writing sounds really good -- timeless itself! I haven't read any older novels in a while; that sounds like one to add to the list.

    My teaser is here. Couldn't be more different from yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great teaser! I don't think I would care to go back to those mini dresses, especially in this weather. Spring is at least approaching the corner, I hope. Still cold even here in FL.
    My teaser is here

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are set for another cold spell here in the mid-south, and nothing here is built to withstand temps in the teens.

    I haven't read this so I will have to check it out. Don't worry there are no mini dresses in my future either, unless their on my child.

    My teaser is up at Calico Contemplations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a fascinating book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this book - sounds like an interesting read. Great teaser!!!

    Here's mine for this week:
    http://tweezlereads.blogspot.com/2010/02/teaser-tuesday_09.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouldn't it be nice, at the very least, to live in a time when quality actually mattered, instead of "consume consume consume"? There's something horrifically wrong with capitalism if that's the best it can do, I'm afraid.

    Great teaser.

    My own teaser is at Bookishgal.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.