Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday's List: Best Read

It's been a while since I took a look at the Best Read Books list, published every week by the Friday Reads group (see their Facebook page). Here's their list of the most popular books for last week (June 17th) -- just the top twenty books, although the list actually runs to over fifty.
  1. STATE OF WONDER by Ann Patchett
  2. BEST KEPT SECRET by Amy Hatvany
  3. HOURGLASS by Myra McEntire
  4. THE BLIND ASSASSIN by Margaret Atwood
  5. A CLASH OF KINGS by George R R Martin
  6. BEAUTY QUEENS by Libba Bray
  7. MAINE. J. Courtney Sullivan
  8. THE HELP by Kathryn Stockett
  9. THE BORROWER by Rebecca Makkai
  10. THE HAPPINESS HYPOTHESIS by Jonathan Haidt
  11. THE WEIRD SISTERS by Eleanor Brown
  12. BOSSYPANTS by Tina Fey
  13. CUTTING FOR STONE by Abraham Verghese
  14. IMAGINARY GIRLS by Nova Ren Suma
  15. IN THE GARDEN OF BEASTS by Erik Larson
  16. ROOM by Emma Donoghue
  17. THE BOOK THIEF by Marcus Zusak
  18. THE END OF EVERYTHING by Megan Abbott
  19. THE MAP OF TIME by Felix Palma
  20. THE PARIS WIFE by Paula McLain
Once again, I'm not very up-to-date here: I've only read one of the books on the list -- Eleanor Brown's Weird Sisters (see my review). But I see several titles that are already on my TBR list, and a couple more that are definitely strong candidates.

5 comments:

  1. Hi-Stumbled on your blog today and I wondered if any of your book reviews from older books (Books from the 90s) could be linked to my project FRIDAY'S FORGOTTEN BOOKS. You can find it here http://pattinase.blogspot.com

    It's 3 years worth of books right now and I am always looking for women and non-crime books to add to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read four from this list and have Hourglass on my stack. A few of the other titles are on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised The Paris Wife made the list and definitely not surprised The Book Thief and The Help were there. I thought The Paris Wife was boring and I couldn't stand the spineless wishy-washy Hadley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel bad I've only read 2 on this one!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.