Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday Reading Update

"Nasturtiums" by Emanuel Phillips Fox (1912)

I had great reading plans for last week, but you know what they say about the best-laid plans.  Didn't manage to finish any books.  Didn't start any new ones.  But now that fall is actually here, I've realized I better get a move on if I'm going to finish up any of the reading challenges I signed up for this year.  Especially RIP/VIII -- this is such a perfect time of year for reading mysteries, thrillers, ghost stories and dark fantasy.  So here's what I'm thinking of for this week (well, one of them anyway):


The Asylum, by John Harwood.  I'm actually already reading this one, but haven't gotten very far.


The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches, by Alan Bradley.  I enjoyed the first Flavia de Luce novel, but haven't read any of the others in the series.


This House is Haunted, by John Boyne. I love the classic Victorian ghost story, and this is supposed to be in that style.


The Small Hand and Dolly, by Susan Hill.  Since I'm a doll collector, I generally try to stay away from stories about spooky dolls.  But I always enjoy Susan Hill, so....

I like my list. Now I just need to settle on one book (which would you choose?) and find some time to do a little actual reading!


It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey. If you want to let the world know what books you're going to be reading this week, head on over to her blog and leave your link. It's also a great way to discover new books and new blogs.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you find plenty of time to read this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I collect dolls, too; and don't usually read about spooky ones. Remember the Chucky dolls in the movies?

    My grown kids (and my grandkids) all think my dolls are spooky, insisting that the eyes follow them...lol

    I'll be watching for your thoughts on the doll book....

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.