Friday, October 09, 2015

Book Beginnings: Where the Memories Lie


Where the Memories Lie, by Sibel Hodge (Thomas & Mercer, Sept. 2015). Opening lines:
Prologue 
'What lies have you told recently, Mum?' Anna walks into the kitchen and slaps some textbooks down on the table.
In the middle of cutting up some peppers on a chopping board, I swing around with fear, my heart banging.
What does she know? She can't have found out the truth, surely.

Initial Thoughts:

I like it. No long expository passages. There you are, immediately, right in the middle of the mysterious stuff. The story has begun. Excellent.

So, how about you? Would this be enough to keep you reading? Or would you prefer a little more explanation in a book's first lines?



Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays. As she says, the idea is to post the first sentence (or so) of the book you're currently reading, along with any first impressions or thoughts you have about the book, the author, etc.  It's a wonderful way of adding new books to your must-read list, and a chance to connect with other readers and bloggers.

6 comments:

  1. I recently bought this but haven't read it yet - the opening lines sounds really good, they'd have me wanting to read on immediately. My Book Beginnings is here: https://rathertoofondofbooks.wordpress.com/2015/10/09/book-beginnings-9th-october/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, I do want to know what the truth is....and why her mother is lying. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great opening that takes the reader right into the middle of conflict. I'd keep reading to uncover the secrets.
    My Friday post features Seeing You Again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book just bangs to a start, doesn't it? Like a gun firing at the beginning of race...and we're off... Sounds quite intriguing.

    My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  5. That definitely puts you right in the middle of it!

    Thanks for participating in BBOF! I don't often get around to everyone to leave a comment, but I am always happy when you share your book beginning!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.