Sunday, December 06, 2015

The Resurrection Maker

Glenn Cooper
Lascaux Media, 2014
336 pages, Kindle edition

What it's about:

Arthur Malory, a seemingly ordinary Englishman, has a burning interest in the Holy Grail, a passion inherited from his father. His obsession is reinforced by his involvement with a group who share that interest, and who call themselves the Grail Loons. Acting on information uncovered by one of the group's founders, Arthur eventually finds evidence linking him to Sir Thomas Malory (who wrote Le Morte d'Arthur) and that original grail quest.

As he follows the trail, our Arthur discovers more about his surprising heritage and the amazing power of the Grail. He also gets involved with a mysterious young woman and a secret society (possibly alchemists?) eager to get their hands on the Grail, the documents leading to it, or Arthur himself if he's not careful.

And did I mention the alchemists?

My Thoughts:

This was actually quite an entertaining read, although a little longer than it really needed to be. The plot kept getting slowed down by fairly tedious discussions of the grail search, Sir Thomas Malory and Arthurian legends, and the life of Antoni Gaudí. All of which was part of the story, but I kept wishing it could have been worked into the action a little more adroitly. Still, a good yarn with an appealing central character -- I'd definitely recommend it, and hope to find time to read more of Cooper's work.

My Rating: ✭✭✭½ (out of a possible 6 stars / Grade = B)

Disclaimer: This review refers to an advance reader's copy of the book, provided free of charge by the publisher, through the NetGalley website. No other compensation was received, and no one attempted to influence my opinion of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.