Thursday, April 21, 2016

Book Beginnings: The Murder of Mary Russell


The Murder of Mary Russell, by Laurie R. King (Bantam, April 2016).  Number 14 in King's Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes series of suspense/adventure novels. This is the book's opening passage:
Irony comes in many flavours, sweet to bitter. The harshest irony I ever tasted was this: when I was interrupted that spring morning, I felt only relief.
But then, tyres on wet gravel sound nothing like the crack of doom.
Initial Thoughts:

Wow, just three sentences into the story and already we've got doom on the horizon! I like it.

I haven't really started this one yet, although it's probably next up. That opening is definitely interesting and enough to keep me reading at least a bit more. And I'm thinking if the narrator is Mary Russell herself, maybe the rumors of her demise are much exaggerated. Hmmm? Guess I'll find out soon enough what's going on. 

I've read one other book in this series, and wasn't extremely impressed. But the books are so enormously popular, I thought I should give them another chance.



Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays. As she says, the idea is to post the first sentence (or so) of the book you're currently reading, along with any first impressions or thoughts you have about the book, the author, etc.  It's a wonderful way of adding new books to your must-read list, and a chance to connect with other readers and bloggers.


8 comments:

  1. I'm definitely planning on starting this series! :)

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): http://never-anyone-else.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-friday-56-with-book-beginnings_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that opening. Lots of foreboding that would keep me reading.
    My Friday post features A NEW DAWN IN DEER ISLE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! Full of intrigue. I have this one on my TBR list. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favorite series though I'm a few books behind. I can't wait to get to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one sounds like a book to add to my list. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE OBSESSION”

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very foreboding! Sounds like a good book! Thanks for visiting my blog! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the beginning a lot - I think I'll have to start this series too! Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    Sounds very intriguing, I'd keep reading. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.