Friday, June 24, 2016

Book Beginnings: Tall Tail


Tall Tail, by Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown (Bantam, May 2016). The 25th book in Brown's Mrs. Murphy Mystery series. These are the book's opening lines:
Flaming sword in hand, the Avenging Angel, bestride a monumental tomb, looked over the rolling land toward the Blue Ridge Mountains. His mouth set hard, his eyes piercing, he was not the promise of peace, repose, and eternal joy with the Almighty.
Lying underneath this imposing marble tomb rested the bones of Francisco Selisse, born January 12, 1731. Died September 10, 1784. Historians still puzzle over exactly how he was murdered.
My Thoughts:

I think that's a pretty good beginning. I'm immediately curious about the place, the grave, and the murder. I'm also sort of wondering about that title and if the play on words relates to the story.

I've read quite a few of the Mrs. Murphy mysteries, and though some are definitely better than others, I generally enjoy them all. This one seems to take place in two separate time periods, and I sometimes have trouble maintaining interest when a story jumps back and forth in time. Hoping that doesn't happen with this one.

What do you think? Read a few more pages? Or move on to something else?



Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Friday.  As she says, the idea is to post the first sentence (or so) of the book you're currently reading, along with any first impressions or thoughts you have about the book, the author, etc.  It's a wonderful way of adding new books to your must-read list, and a chance to connect with other readers and bloggers.


7 comments:

  1. That does sound good. An interesting way to start a murder story. Here's my Friday Book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read some Rita Mae Brown, but none of her Sneaky Pie Brown books. Great cover and excerpts. I really must explore these books. Here's mine: “SWEETBITTER”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of her books in so long but they're so much fun! This intro makes me really curious about how Selisse connects with the rest of the mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting and unusual book. I hope the back-and-forth isn't too distracting.
    My Friday post features THE LITTLE FRENCH GUESTHOUSE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a very strong beginning and I really hope you enjoy it - gotta say that I love the cover! Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read Rita Mae Brown although I have looked at her books before. It seems that this type of writing -- jumping back and forth between time periods (I am sure there is a name for it) seems to be quite popular right now. I have read several books written that way and if I am not careful, I will get confused and have to backtrack. It can be effective though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never tried this series, but I want to! :)

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.