Thursday, September 22, 2016

Booking Through Thursday: Location etc.

This week's Booking Through Thursday question is about literary location:
In real estate, it’s all about location, location, location. But how about books? Does where a book is set affect your reading choices? Are you more or less likely to read books set in places you know or love?
This one made me think a bit. I guess I am more likely to choose books set in places I love (England, Paris, the Big Apple). But some of my favorite reads are set in foreign lands I've only visited in those books. And many faves are set in totally non-existent, imaginary places. So I suppose I'd have to say location really doesn't matter much when I'm choosing something to read.

I do, though, have a problem with books set in Texas. For some reason, even though I was born in Texas, live in Texas, and dearly love my home state, I find I have trouble enjoying books set here. Not that I dislike reading books set in Texas: I love just about anything by Larry McMurtry, and Edna Ferber's Giant is one of my all-time favorites. I think it may just be that I expect more from books set in Texas, since I know the state so well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.