Wednesday, December 28, 2016

2016 Reading Challenge Wrap-Ups, Part 1

Since it's very unlikely I'll be doing much more reading for any of my 2016 challenges, I'm just going to declare years-end and start posting my wrap-ups. Here we go, in (roughly) alphabetical order:


Host: Karen K @ Books and Chocolate

Only read two books that qualified for the challenge (there were twelve categories):
  1. Daisy Miller. Henry James
  2. To Have and Have Not. Ernest Hemingway


Host: herding cats & burning soup,
and Addicted to Happily Ever After @ The Herd Presents

Read one book that qualified for the challenge: The Last September, by Nina de Gramont.




I did pretty well with this challenge. Signed up for 4-6 books, and ended up reading 7 that qualified:
  1. The People in the Photo. Hélène Gestern; translated from the French by Emily Boyce and Ros Schwartz
  2. Villa Triste. Patrick Modiano; trans. from the French by John Cullen
  3. The Disappearance of Signora Giulia. Piero Chiara; trans. from the Italian by Jill Foulston
  4. This Too Shall Pass. Milena Busquets; trans. from the Spanish by Valerie Miles 
  5. Inkheart. Cornelia Funke; trans. from the German by Anthea Bell  
  6. Tainted Tokay (Winemaker Detective Series #11). Jean-Pierre Alaux and Noël Balen; trans. from the French by Sally Pane
  7. The Nightwalker. Sebastian Fitzek; trans. from the German by Jamie Lee Searle



Sorry to say it, but I completely wiped out on this one. Never managed to read any books for the challenge, although it still sounds good to me. Maybe just too much "structure."




Another one I managed to finish ‒ signed up at the 4-book level, and actually read 5 that qualify:
  1. The People in the Photo. Hélène Gestern; translated by Emily Boyce and Ros Schwartz (set in France, mainly Paris) 
  2. The Disappearance of Signora Giulia. Piero Chiara; translated by Jill Foulston (set in Italy)
  3. This Too Shall Pass. Milena Busquets; translated by Valerie Miles (set in Catalonia region of Spain
  4. The Invoice. Jonas Karlsson (set in Sweden)
  5. The Nightwalker. Sebastian Fitzek; translated by Jamie Lee Searle (set in Germany



Signed up at the 5-book level; read 5 books:
1. Dreaming Spies (Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes #13). Laurie R. King
2. A Christmas Escape. Anne Perry
3. A Fine Imitation. Amber Brock
4. The Port-Wine Stain. Norman Lock
5. As Good As Gone. Larry Watson 
That's probably enough for now. More to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.