Thursday, December 15, 2016

Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures


Kate DiCamillo
Illustrated by K.G. Campbell
Candlewick Press, 2013; 233 pages

I'm (very slowly) trying to read my way through more of the recent Newbery Medal winners, and this one took the prize in 2014.

Ten-year-old cynic and comic-book-lover Flora Belle Buckman saves a squirrel (Ulysses) from a horrible death-by-vacuum-cleaner, and that near-fatal accident imbues the furry victim with unexplainable super powers. He finds he can fly! And also write poetry! (Although he has a bit of trouble with spelling.)

Ulysses and Flora become fast friends, but Flora's mother is determined to exterminate the rodent. Lots of lovely excitement is stirred up before all the problems are solved.

I loved this wonderful book! The characters were quirky and lovable and K.G. Campbell's illustrations in comic-book form were charming. I've read DiCamillo's Tale of Despereaux, and wasn't much impressed. But Flora & Ulysses was a real treat!


📚 📚 📚 📖 📖 📚 📚 📚

● Qualifies for the following reading challenge: 2016 Newbery Reading Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.