Thursday, December 15, 2016

Walter the Lazy Mouse

Marjorie Flack
Illustrated by the author
Two Lions, 2015; 96 pages
First published 1937

About the Book:

Walter is a young mouse who is so lazy he misses school and most of the other life events he should be attending to. In fact, he's so lazy that eventually his family forgets about him (!) and moves away without him. That sets Walter off on his quest to find his family and be reunited. The book is about his adventures on the way.

He meets a helpful turtle and some friendly (though forgetful) frogs. He gets his own island to live on and tries to be a teacher for his froggy friends. He learns to be self-reliant and responsible, and just doesn't have the time to be lazy anymore. Does he ever find his family? Does everyone live happily ever after? Well, you'll just have to read the book to find out!

My Thoughts:

Classic children's book from 1937, back in print with the original illustrations by the author. Not one of the books I remember ever reading, so I thought I'd give it a look. It's a very cute tale, and teaches some valuable lessons. I enjoyed the story and the charming graphics, but I'm not sure I'd have been so enthusiastic if I'd read it when I was little. Admittedly, I was a pretty insecure kiddo, but I think the idea of the family forgetting Walter and moving away without him would have scared me to pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.