Thursday, February 02, 2017

Book Beginnings: The Lesser Bohemians


The Lesser Bohemians, by Eimear McBride (Hogarth, September 2016). These are the book's first lines:
I move. Cars move. Stock, it bends light. City opening itself behind. Here's to be for its life is the bite and would be start of mine.
About the Book:
"A captivating story of passion and innocence, joy and discovery, set against the vibrant atmosphere of 1990s London over the course of a single year...
One night, an eighteen-year-old Irish girl, recently arrived in London to attend drama school, meets an older man — a well-regarded actor in his own right. While she is naive and thrilled by life in the big city, he is haunted by more than a few demons, and the clamorous relationship that ensues risks undoing them both."
Initial Thoughts:

Well, the description of the book sounds interesting — which is why I requested it from the Early Reviewer batch at Library Thing (yes, I'm way behind in my reading). But that opening is so strange, I'm wondering if I'll be able to stick with it. 

How about it? Sound like something you'd continue with? Or would you move on to something a little less challenging?




Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Friday.  As she says, the idea is to post the first sentence (or so) of the book you're currently reading, along with any first impressions or thoughts you have about the book, the author, etc.  It's a wonderful way of adding new books to your must-read list, and a chance to connect with other readers and bloggers.


5 comments:

  1. I just saw this book on twitter today. The cover intrigued me and now the description. Wow.
    My Friday quotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if that opening would have "grabbed" me but I will bet that as you get into it you will find it very compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure about reading a whole book with that writing style, but it does look fascinating. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “RAINY DAY WOMEN”

    ReplyDelete
  4. The opening was awkward to me and I had to read it twice. Based on the first paragraph, I probably wouldn't keep reading. I hope the rest of the book is written in a more readable style because the plot sounds good.
    My Friday post features The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover! That's enough for me. Thanks for sharing and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.